The Western SARE Administrative Council approved funding for 59 projects during the March 2022 meeting. These 59 projects totaled $6,577,150 in funding for five programs: Research and Education, Farmer-Rancher, Professional + Producer, Professional Development Program, and Research to Grassroots. Projects were funded in 12 states and protectorates.
Example topic areas include a beginning dry farm curriculum and accelerator program; an information network for sustainable Pacific Island research and education; identification of stacked conservation practices that optimize water use; bee friendly farming for wine grapes; and an assessment of the viability of transition to winter CSA production as an adaption strategy to climate change impacts.
- 11 Research and Education projects were funded for a total of $3,800,700
- 22 Farmer-Rancher projects were funded for a total of $528,727
- 7 Professional + Producer projects were funded for a total of $488,681
- 13 Professional Development Program projects were funded for a total of $1,212,974
- 6 Research to Grassroots projects were funded for a total of $546,068
To review summaries of all funded projects, visit our database and search on the Western region for the year of 2022.